Colgate-Palmolive’s history traces back to the early 19th century when William Colgate, a soap and candle maker, began selling his wares in New York City under the name William Colgate & Company. After his death in 1857, the company was run by his son, Samuel Colgate, under the new name Colgate & Company.
Colgate & Company sold the first toothpaste in a tube, Colgate’s Ribbon Dental Cream, in 1896. In 1928 the firm was bought by Palmolive-Peet Company, whose founder, B.J. Johnson, had developed the formula for Palmolive soap in 1898.
Colgate-Palmolive added MFP fluoride (sodium monofluorophosphate), an enamel strengthener and cavity reducer, to its toothpaste in 1968. Colgate Total, a line of toothpaste designed to protect against a number of conditions including gingivitis, was introduced in Europe in 1992 and in the United States in 1997.
In addition to toothpaste, Colgate-Palmolive manufactured a number of successful personal-care and household products in the United States and other countries, including Palmolive dishwashing liquid and Irish Spring bar soap. The firm’s acquisition of a variety of companies from the 1960s onward enabled it to expand both its market share and its product lines in the United States, Latin America, Europe, and East Asia.
Today, Colgate now markets a broadly diversified mix of products in the United States and more than 200 countries. Major product areas include household and personal care products, food products, health care and industrial supplies, and sports and leisure time equipment. Headquartered on Park Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, New York City.
According to britannica.com