Base Orcadas is an Argentine scientific station in Antarctica, and the oldest of the stations in Antarctica is still in operation.
It is located on Laurie Island, one of the South Orkney Islands, at 4 meters above sea level and 170 meters from the coastline. Established by the Scottish National Antarctic Expedition in 1903 and transferred to the Argentine government in 1904, the base has been permanently populated since, being one of six Argentine permanent bases in Argentina’s claim to Antarctica, and the first permanently inhabited base in Antarctica.
The nearest Argentine port in Ushuaia, is 1,502 km (811 mi) away. The base has 11 buildings and four main topics of research: continental glaciology, seismology, sea-ice-zone glaciology (since 1985), and meteorological observations (since 1903).
Orcadas was the only station on the islands for 40 years until the British established a small summer base, Cape Geddes Station on Laurie Island in 1946, replaced by Signy Research Station in Signy Island in 1947. It also had the first radiotelegraph on the continent in 1927. The 11 buildings of the station house up to 65 people during the summer, and an average of 17 during winter.
According to Wikipedia