Johann Maria Farina gegenüber dem Jülichs-Platz GmbH is the world’s oldest eau de Cologne and perfume factory. It traces its origins to a luxury goods retail business founded in 1709 in Cologne by Giovanni Battista Farina, who was subsequently joined in the business by his younger brother, Giovanni Maria Farina (German: Johann Maria Farina).
The short form ‘Farina gegenüber’ and the French name ‘Jean Marie Farina vis-à-vis de la place Juliers’ were also commonly used over a long period of time. The company’s logo is a red tulip.
Initially, Farina limited the sale of his perfume to Cologne and Frankfurt’s trade center. The first delivery dates back to 1716 when Farina sent 12 bottles to Madame Billy in Aachen. By 1740, eau de Cologne was a great success and was sold in Rouen, Paris, Strasburg, Magdeburg, Trier, Wesel, Kleve, Lyon, Vienna, Amsterdam, The Hague, Liège, Lille, Aachen, Düsseldorf, Bonn, Braunschweig, Frankfurt, Leipzig, Augsburg, Stuttgart, Bamberg, Mainz, Warsaw, and Koblenz.
The company is still run by the founding family’s descendants, who are the eighth generation of family members. The company has held royal warrants as purveyors of perfume to the German, French, Italian, Swedish, Russian and British royal families. The company headquarters and birthplace of eau de Cologne are both to be found at Farina House in Cologne, Germany, where the Farina Fragrance Museum is also located.
According to Wikipedia