The Neva Yacht Club (Yacht-club Neva or simply Club Neva) is a sailing club located in Saint Petersburg, Russia, close to the Neva River. It was founded in 1718 and was re-established as a club in 1958. It claims to be the first and oldest yacht club in Russia and even in the world.
Nevsky Flot (lit. “Fleet of the Neva”), the first yacht club in Russia, was founded by Tsar Peter the Great on April 12, 1718 (the idea had probably been devised as early as 1716 when the First Neva Shipyard started building civilian vessels). The tsar, an enthusiast of naval activities, provided 141 small ships to entertain members of the aristocracy.
The flag of the club, a version of the Russian Navy Ensign, was designed and given to the club by the tsar himself. The club ceased activities after the death of the tsar, who had been personally sponsoring the club.
In 1892, after the initiative of certain high officers of the Russian Imperial Navy, the Neva Yacht Club was revived in memory of Peter the Great’s Nevsky Flot. It began regularly organizing various sailing competitions meant mainly for large cruising yachts. The Imperial Neva Yacht Club was disbanded after the Russian Revolution. The current Neva Yacht Club was re-established in 1958. The club only services members of the “Public Association of Amateurs of Aquatic Recreation”. It accepts only ship owners as members.
According to the Wikipedia