Greensted Church, in the small village of Greensted, near Chipping Ongar in Essex, England, has been claimed to be the oldest wooden church in the world, and probably the oldest wooden building in Europe still standing, albeit only in part, since few sections of its original wooden structure remain.
The oak walls are often classified as remnants of a palisade church or, more loosely, as a kind of early stave church, dated either to the mid-9th or mid-11th century.
Greensted Church has possibly stood for nearly 1,200 years. Dendrochronology estimated its construction to be 845 AD; a later analysis has reset the date of the timbers to 1053. Construction of the first permanent church on this site is thought to have begun shortly after Cedd began his conversion of the East Saxons around 654. The archaeological remnants of two simple wooden buildings were discovered under the present chancel floor, and these are thought to have been built in the late 6th or early 7th century.
The church’s dedication to St Andrew might suggest a Celtic foundation for the original sanctuary. The body of King Edmund the Martyr of East Anglia (who was killed in 870, possibly at Hoxne) is said to have rested there in 1013, on its way to reburial at Bury St Edmunds.
The church was featured on a British postage stamp issued in 1972, part of a set of village churches. The oak font, designed by Hugh Casson and made by Russell Thomas, was added in 1987.
According to the Wikipedia