The Ffestiniog Railway is a heritage railway based on a 597 mm narrow-gauge, located in Gwynedd, Wales. It is a major tourist attraction located mainly within the Snowdonia National Park.

The railway is roughly 21.7 km long and runs from the harbor at Porthmadog to the slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, traveling through forested and mountainous terrain. The line is single track throughout with four intermediate passing places. The first mile of the line out of Porthmadog runs atop an embankment called the Cob, which is the dyke of the polder known as Traeth Mawr.

Prince (originally The Prince) is a steam locomotive built for the Festiniog Railway in 1863. One of the line’s original locomotives, it continued in use (much rebuilt) until the mid-1930s.

When the FR closed in 1946, it was left in the works, part-way through an overhaul. This allowed it to become the first steam locomotive rebuilt for use on the reopened railway in 1955. In the early years of the line’s revival, it was an important member of the locomotive fleet and was rebuilt to improve its usefulness. As train sizes have grown it is now less used, but is still a regular performer on special trains. Prince has also appeared at many events away from the railway.

According to the Internet