PS Adelaide is a wooden-hulled paddle steamer moored at the Echuca Wharf and used for special occasions.
PS Adelaide was built by George Linklater at Echuca in 1866 for J.C. Grassey and Partners. The original owners used it to transport wool to Echuca from nearby sheep stations. It was also a part-time passenger boat, bringing the ladies into town to do their shopping.
Adelaide was one of the fastest paddle steamers on the Murray River. The original engine of the PS Adelaide is a twin-cylinder 30-horsepower nominal steam engine (featuring a 14-inch bore and 36-inch stroke), made by Fulton & Shaw (built in Melbourne, Victoria). The boiler of the Adelaide was replaced twice, the last time in 1936 or 1938. This replacement boiler is a Buchanan & Brock boiler, also built in Melbourne.
The PS Adelaide can carry up to 49 passengers, and it offers a variety of cruises on the Murray River. Passengers can enjoy a leisurely cruise down the river, or they can book a special event cruise, such as a wedding or Christmas party.
The PS Adelaide is a valuable part of Australia’s maritime heritage, and it is a pleasure to see that it is still operating today.
According to the Internet