The St Andrews Ladies’ Putting Club is the world’s oldest ladies’ golf club. It was founded in 1867 by a group of women who wanted to play golf but were not allowed to join the men’s clubs. The club’s first course was a nine-hole miniature link laid out by Old Tom Morris. In 1900, the club moved to its current location, which is home to the famous Himalayas putting course.
Before 1860, there were few recreational activities that young women could participate in, apart from croquet, battledore and shuttlecock, and archery. At that time, the caddies of St Andrews laid out a small putting area on the Links behind Gibson Place, which is close to the present-day Rusacks Hotel. The club originated as a group of local St Andrews ladies that included Miss Ellen Boothby, her sister-in-law Mrs. Robert Todd Boothby, Mrs. Skipworth, Miss Deane, and Miss Chambers, who met regularly on the putting green. Many of the ladies’ fathers or brothers were members of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, and the ladies would play on the Old Course when it was quiet.
The Himalayas course is a 27-hole putting course that is known for its challenging obstacles, including bunkers, hills, and bridges. It is a popular tourist destination and is often used for tournaments.
The St Andrews Ladies’ Putting Club is still a ladies-only club, but it is open to visitors. The club offers a variety of golfing experiences, including lessons, tournaments, and social events.
According to the Internet